New York Fellowship Program
The New York Fellowship Program enables artists, scholars, and arts specialists from Asia to live in New York City for a period of six months while receiving comprehensive logistical and programmatic support from ACC staff. This program is intended for research, exploration, and cultural immersion. It is not intended for exhibiting, performing, presenting, or other public activities.
Logistical support includes: J-1 visa sponsorship, health insurance, a stipend for living and research expenses, and housing in a studio apartment in Manhattan. There are four start dates a year (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer) and applicants may indicate their preference in the application. The final schedule for successful candidates will be determined after the grant is awarded and will take into consideration programmatic recommendations and housing availability as well as the Fellow’s own schedule and preferences.
Applicants may apply with a focused research proposal, but open-ended exploration is also allowed and encouraged. Fellows in this program often choose to pursue new interests, explore across disciplines, observe best practices in their field, seek creative inspiration, or engage in targeted training or workshops.
ACC staff will assist in arranging a program of activities tailored to the individual goals and interests of each Fellow. This may include advice on cultural events, resources, and learning opportunities; introductions to relevant contacts in ACC’s network; and assistance planning travel to other parts of the country. During the program, Fellows will have opportunities to reflect on their work and experiences through meetings with staff and presentations to other Fellows in the program.
- Only individuals may apply (no teams).
- Previous participants in this program are not eligible to reapply.
- For travel to the U.S. lasting less than six months, applicants should apply in the Individual Fellowship category.
- For travel to the U.S. not based in New York City, applicants should apply in the Individual Fellowship category.
- The fellowship cannot be divided into multiple trips. Once Fellows commit to a start date, they are expected to make the necessary personal and professional arrangements to adhere to that schedule.