In addition to the general eligibility guidelines described on the Fellowships & Grants page, the following guidelines are currently in effect for this program:
|Funding Period:||June 1, 2020 - May 31, 2021|
|Who:||Artists, humanities scholars, arts professionals|
|Eligible Fields:||Eligible fields|
|Travel Type:||Asia-to-U.S., U.S.-to-Asia, intra-Asia|
|Applications invited from:||China, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Macau SAR, Philippines, Taiwan, U.S.|
|Eligible Destinations (applicants from Asia):||Eligible countries / regions|
|Eligible Destinations (applicants from the U.S.):||China, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Macau SAR, Philippines, and Taiwan only|
|Support Services:||Vary by destination country|
*Dissertation fieldwork lasting longer than 6 months is also eligible but may not be fully funded
The Individual Fellowship Program supports individuals—or up to two collaborators—pursuing research or creative inquiry across cultures. This may take the form of observation tours, specialized training, dissertation fieldwork, or other non-commercial creative, scholarly, or professional activity. As in all ACC programs, the emphasis is on process-driven activities that enable cultural immersion, dialogue, relationship-building, collaboration, or the exchange of knowledge among peers.
Support services are intended to enhance a proposed plan of activity, give increased access to artistic communities and cultural resources in the destination country, and deepen the cultural exchange experience. However, proposals should be feasible with or without additional guidance from ACC. Support may include:
- Personal introductions to relevant contacts within ACC’s network of alumni and partners throughout Asia and the U.S.; this network touches all 26 countries in ACC’s geographic purview and is especially strong where ACC has offices: Hong Kong, Japan, the Philippines, Taiwan, and the U.S.
- Recommendations of sites to visit or activities to participate in
- J-1 visa sponsorship and health insurance for travel to the U.S.
- Advice and recommendations about housing, where possible
To be selected, applicants must:
- Show artistic, scholarly, or professional excellence and potential for continued growth
- Be positioned to share their fellowship experience or the outcomes of their research to influence a larger community or field
- Demonstrate compelling need for this opportunity at this specific time in their life and career
- Be independent, resourceful, and open to cultural exchange experiences beyond the specific goals of the fellowship activities
- Demonstrate the feasibility of their proposal, including consideration of the accessibility of communities or cultural resources of interest, and the logistics of transportation, accommodations, language barriers, and budget
Once selected, fellows are expected to:
- Begin their fellowship travel within the funding period described above
- Notify ACC of any changes in their fellowship plans
Please note the following restrictions:
- Collaborators must submit a single application to ACC and must plan to travel together; separate trips by each individual are not permitted. Financial support for collaborative fellowships is not likely to be larger than an individual fellowship, so successful applications tend to be those proposing a shorter period of travel
- All fellowships should be completed in a single trip. ACC funding may not be used for multiple international airfares to the same region or country, except in rare cases with prior written approval from ACC
- This program is not intended for creating new work, exhibiting, performing, presenting, or other public activities
- Funding amounts are calculated based on the proposed destination country(ies) and length of travel, and are subject to revision if plans change significantly after the fellowship is awarded
- For dissertation research longer than six months, applicants must indicate additional prospective funding sources
How to Apply
Application instructions can be found on the How to Apply page. Please note that applications for the 2020 funding cycle were due on November 7, 2019. The next application cycle will open in September 2020. Updated guidelines will be posted here at that time.